Saturday, March 29, 2008

Jack’s First Day of School in Germany

March 25, 2008

“Who are you and what have you done with my son?”

I left Kids Kamp Königstein Tuesday morning in disbelief. Jack, who has had separation anxiety issues for years, had just given me a kiss goodbye with a light-hearted wave and trotted off to his chair in the Ladybirds room.

We’ve been in Germany for about a week and have been telling Jack he’d be starting school after Easter. As the date grew near, he became more and more nervous. The night before, we spent a couple of hours talking about the next day…what would happen when he woke up, clothes to wear, mom would drive, arrive, meet teachers…etc. Then, we did a role-playing exercise with Froggie and Mama Bear. Jack was Mama Bear and I was Froggie. I knew I was in trouble when Froggie asked what he should do when Mama Bear has to leave the school and Jack (as Mama Bear) replied, “run after her screaming!”

Yet, there I was, free to go. Calmly. Quietly. No drama.

I’d like to think I had prepared him for this big moment, but realistically, I attribute it to the two little boys who immediately adopted Jack upon arrival. I don’t know their names, but they were excited to see him and play with him, and before he knew it, there was a birthday celebration with cake (at 9AM?!) and singing, and he was having FUN!

Since then, we’ve had a couple of difficult drop offs, but Jack has befriended a boy named Alex whose mom is American, apparently. He talks about Alex every night and I’m looking forward to meeting him and his family.

We still haven’t made the final decision on Kids Kamp v. the International School, but will have to very soon. Until then, we’re thrilled Jack is enjoying his new school.

2 comments:

Susan Love's blog said...

They never do what you expect them to do. We vote for Kids Kamp!

umami photography said...

What's Kids Kamp? Is it the other international school? Sounds fun! And that's excellent jack's already made some new buddies. The neighborhood's not the same without you guys.
I'm back in LA, so I'll get those house pics to you soon. Oh, and I just found a black widow in the garage...same place where John killed that other one a few months ago. Ack!
Oh, how's that pub working out? What you got on tap?