It was only a matter of time.
But, really now. This is embarrassing. Especially since neither John nor I are strangers to analytics. Calculations. S-I-M-P-L-E M-A-T-H. So, here goes:
It all started with the Texas Chili recipe. We haven't made chili since we moved here. I wasn't sure I could get the right chili peppers (I can't!), and I wasn't sure it would be good with different peppers (it was!), so we hadn't tried. But yesterday was cold and snowy, and we were inside cooking, and well, we wanted chili.
All our recipes are American. duh, right? But not always so easy outside America. Sticks of butter? No TBSP markings - it's all in grams. Milk? Liters. And meat? Kilos. No pounds. And unlike the US where packages of hamburger meat all weigh something slightly different, the standard pack here is 250 grams (quarter of a kilo). Handy, really.
But yesterday, after our careful conversion calculations of 3-3.25 pounds, John returned from the store with 6 packages of ground PORK. What self-respecting Texan eats PORK chili??!! So, Catherine, braving the cold, left to find 6 kilos of rinderhackfleish (AKA hamburger meat...which, BTW, always freaks me out a bit. Rinder hacked flesh. Don't know what a rinder is, but the hacked flesh part is disgusting.)
Clearly, we realized upon her arrival we had confused 6 PACKAGES of hacked flesh with 6 KILOS.
Got hamburger recipes?
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment