

When John, Jack and I moved in with Susan, Helen and Katie Love-Cooksey in May of 2007, we had no idea just how much like family we would become. It wasn’t the first time we had shared a roof with them – in 1998, when we remodeled our house, we moved in for 6 weeks. That was pre-kids, but we did have two dogs which weighed more than both children at this point, for what it’s worth. So, in 2007 when we decided to remodel our bathrooms, we knew exactly where to turn.
Of course, I was 8 months pregnant when we moved in, and I was four months post-birth when we moved out. Yes, we left for the hospital and returned “home” with newborn in tow to the Love-Cooksey Casa - we really took the Godmother experience to a new level! Amazingly, it all seemed to work out just fine…their living room became functional as a nursery, complete with breast-pump hookup and changing station on top of the sofa table. John cooked many a meal, and the refrigerator occasionally became overrun with small bottles of breast milk…everywhere.
Susan and Helen took it all in stride, completely understanding and tolerant of my hormonal mood swings, the baby cries and my pump supplies scattered about the countertops. Helen bonded with Luke and was happy to hold him and feed him when I needed a break.


Meanwhile, Jack was having a heyday with Susan. Everyday was full of bear hunts, rocket ship trips and trains. On the day Luke was born, Susan took Jack on a special hike to a cave, while Helen headed to the hospital with us. It was quite wonderful and we were so grateful.
We decided there really was something to “it takes a village to raise a child” and the multi-generational home. There’s also something to living with two doctors when having a baby, especially when one is a breast specialist!

When I was in LA in late August, I stayed with the Love-Cookseys, and it was just like coming home from college. Our home away from home. How wonderful it is to have friends like this – a gift of Grace.
We miss you guys and love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment